How to Market a Coffee Shop
Are you developing your coffee shop marketing plan for 2023? Now is the time to evaluate the digital marketing strategy for your coffee shop or cafe.
As we begin a new year, remaining keen on what is working in digital marketing is key to staying current in your strategy. Since most – if not all – of your customers are using the internet to shop, socialize, and connect to local businesses, it is essential to be there when they’re looking to engage with your coffee shop and baristas.
So, we’ve put together some top ideas you need to implement in 2023 in your coffee shop marketing strategy to build customer loyalty and increase foot traffic.
#1. Live Video is a Must
Live video plays a massive role in building awareness and relationships on social media. For instance, tools such as Facebook Live and Instagram Stories capture attention and encourage followers to connect more with cafe brands. Likewise, it helps build customer loyalty.
In fact, according to Forrester, people watch live videos 10 to 20 times longer than on-demand content, making live streaming a compelling way to deliver interactive content to consumers. Incorporating live video into your coffee shop marketing strategy is a must if you want to engage your followers more and increase brand awareness.
The good news is, there are several ways coffee shop owners can use live video in social media marketing. Here are a few ideas:
- Take your social media followers behind the scenes to show what it’s like preparing a cup of coffee and other foods in your shop.
- Highlight your coffee shop team on live video so that customers can get to know them. Implement an employee of the month contest and feature your winners.
- You can promote your new flavors and share the reasons why people will love them. You can also communicate why you decided to add them to your coffee menu.
#2. Hone Your Email List
Growing your email subscribers is the lifeblood of your business and is essential for your marketing efforts. The more potential customers that you have coming into your funnel, the more opportunities you create to build relationships and share promotions.
Your email strategy keeps your coffee shop at the forefront of your customers’ minds, fosters relationships with new and loyal customers, and keeps your brand top of mind in your local community.
Therefore, focus on honing your email marketing in 2023. You can achieve an excellent strategy for gaining new subscribers by providing free WiFi for your customers. Send users to a captive portal or landing page before they go online to collect their email addresses. You’ll quickly gather valuable information that can fuel your entire digital strategy.
Rather than just sending sales and promotional content, nurture your leads by offering value your audience can use. Think about your target market and the common problems they experience, whether it relates to your industry or not. Share resources or give tips on how they can overcome them. Answer their questions.
They will see your coffee shop in a whole new light!
#3. Ramp up Your Instagram Strategy
Instagram remains one of the fastest-growing social networks, currently boasting over one billion users.
It’s an ideal platform for attracting new followers and customers to your coffee brand while showcasing your creative side. It’s essential to stay up-to-date on the best social media marketing campaigns for your coffee shop.
Therefore, you can use these tips to amplify your Instagram strategy in your coffee shop social media marketing:
- Hashtags are king on Instagram! If you’re not already using them, be sure to include popular and industry-related hashtags in your content. You can use tools like Hashtagify.me to find relevant ones and drive new followers to your page.
- Be responsive. Remember, this is a social media platform. Replying to comments and online reviews and reposting others’ content is a sure way to maintain engagement on Instagram. It also humanizes your brand, making you more relatable and personable.
- Share useful content. How-to videos and motivational posts are a hit on social media. Leverage them to your advantage while offering value to your audience.
- Make sure your visuals are high-quality as they perform better on Instagram. Here are some Tips to Take.
- Use Awesome Food Pictures.
- Be consistent. If you can only post twice a day, maintain that cadence for improved engagement.
#4. Leverage Digital Marketing & Interactive Content in your Coffee Shop Marketing
In 2023, remember that consumers do not interact the same way with content as they had in the past. Techniques like blogging and social posts still work, yet followers are seeking more engaging experiences.
Additionally, offering multiple ways for people to consume your content allows you to reach a bigger audience.
Content for your coffee shop is crucial. That’s where interactive content and digital marketing for your coffee shop comes to play. Formats such as quizzes, assessments, surveys, and polls are excellent ways to entertain and engage your followers. Even as a coffee shop, you can think of creative ideas to leverage interactive content in your digital marketing strategy.
For example, create a quiz using interactive content tools like Apester, where users discover their “Coffee Personality Type.” Or, build a poll asking social media followers about their favorite coffee or specialty tea. Finally, you could develop a survey to discover more about your consumers and what they want to improve your customer initiatives.
The options are endless with interactive content.
#5. User-Generated Content Sells!
User-generated content is one of the most effective forms of content in marketing. Your customers’ comments, selfies with your products, testimonials, and videos provide you with valuable content to implement in your coffee shop marketing. Social proof and reviews sell.
The Nielsen Consumer Trust Index shares that 92% of consumers trust organic, user-generated content more than they believe in traditional advertising. This trust plays a massive role in generating buzz on social media and getting more people into your coffee shop!
With that prefaced, encourage your customers to leave positive reviews on your Facebook Page, Yelp, and Google. Make it easy by sending a direct link where they can click and write. Consider hosting a contest where each participant shares a social media post about their experience with your brand.
The key is to collect as much user-generated content as possible to amplify your overall digital marketing strategy. And it can help build your word-of-mouth marketing as well.
#6. Create a Coffee Subscription Service
COVID-19 has transformed the way that cafes and local coffee shops operate. Customers are more comfortable staying at home, and coffee shops struggle to attract their business. That’s why many coffee shops are turning to subscription-based coffee services for their customers.
One type of cafe subscription service involves providing an unlimited amount of coffee for a set monthly cost. The other coffee shop subscription service entails providing customers with packaged coffee beans delivered to their homes.
More than half of online shoppers (54%) say they subscribe to a subscription box service. The subscription box industry appeals to consumers’ desire for convenient, novel experiences.
Key Coffee Shop Statistics to Keep in Mind
- Coffee statistics show that the average consumption in the United States is 3 cups of coffee per day among coffee drinkers.
- The typical and most committed coffee drinkers are 25 to 45 year old, affluent, educated adults.
- According to Business Valuation Marketing, the top 50 coffee shop companies have captured around 70% of the U.S. market.
Implementing smart digital marketing tactics in your coffee shop marketing plan will position you well in 2022 as a business owner. It’s essential to continuously test your efforts to keep what’s working and modify what isn’t. With consistency, you’ll create a winning strategy that keeps people connected to your brand online and drives new customers through your doors.